Pop Warner Little Scholars, Inc. (PWLS) is a non-profit organization that provides youth football and cheer & dance programs for participants in 42 states and several countries around the world. Consisting of approximately 400,000 young people ranging from ages 5 to 16 years old, PWLS is the largest youth football, cheer and dance program in the United States.
Pop Warner was founded in 1929, continues to grow and serves as the only youth football, cheerleading & dance organization that requires its participants to maintain academic standards in order to participate. Pop Warner's commitment to academics is what separates the program from other youth sports around the world.
As the only national youth sports organization that requires scholastic aptitude to participate, Pop Warner is committed to developing America's young people on the field and off. Each year Pop Warner continues to expand its efforts in team and activity participation, as well as visibility and outreach in the community.
Since 1929, the Pop Warner Programs Philosophy has been that athletics and scholastics go hand in hand. At every level, Pop Warner programs seek to develop well-rounded young men and women who learn not only the fundamentals of football, cheerleading, and dance but also the importance of education in an atmosphere conducive to developing sound character while having a good time.
POP WARNER MISSION:
The mission of Pop Warner Little Scholars, Inc. is to enable children to benefit from participation in team sports and activities in a safe and structured environment. Through this active participation, Pop Warner programs teach fundamental values, skills and knowledge that children will use throughout their lives.
* To encourage and increase youth participation in football, cheerleading and dance.
* To ensure a safe and positive playing environment for all participants.
* To instill life-long values of teamwork, dedication and a superior work ethic in the classroom and on the playing field.
* Pop Warner programs have no tryouts or cutting of rosters.
* Everyone participates under mandatory rules of play.
* On-field coaching is allowed for younger age levels.
* Individual awards are given only for academic excellence, not for on-field activities.
Safe Playing Environment
* Players are matched by age and weight levels.
* There are strict mandatory equipment requirements.
* Pop Warner provides Coaching Clinics and Risk Management Training.
* An enforced national rule book incorporates time-tested rules.
* A full-time executive staff supports all local associations and assists in sound policy creation.